Sunday, October 5, 2014

Welcome to my Math Blog!

I love teaching because each year we get to start anew! This past week I started seeing students in their small groups. I really enjoyed catching up with some of my friends from last year and meeting new friends! I look forward to having the opportunity to meet with some parents over the next couple of weeks during your child's teacher conference. If I don't get to meet you, please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions or to set up a time if you want to meet.

I am so happy to have the opportunity to work with students in grades 1-5 this year! It is exciting to see and watch students grow as math learners. If you happen to pass my room, you will notice that I have posted Math Myths outside my door. I read a wonderful article over the summer that talked about pre-conceived notions students have about themselves (and others) as math students. I wanted to list these myths for you, in case you don't get to see them:

Myth #1: You are either good at math or you are not.

Truth: Everyone has the potential to be good at math. We can all grow our math brains!

Myth #2: Being good at math means being fast at math.

Truth: Persistence and not giving up are more important than being fast.

Myth #3: Math is all about following a certain set of rules and procedures.

Truth: There are a variety of ways that problems can be solved. What is more important is finding the way that works and makes sense to you.

I believe in the truths behind these myths and will be reinforcing these with my students throughout the year. I look forward to a wonderful year of math and learning together!



No comments:

Post a Comment