Monday, February 9, 2015

Math and Reading

"Both reading and math have the same goal -
bringing meaning to black marks on pages" 
(Marilyn Burns)

Recently I was reading Marilyn Burns' (math guru extraordinaire) blog and she was talking about how she incorporated literature into her math lessons when she was a math instructor. I have done this myself and have found it to be a wonderful way to help students understand the math concept. I do not tell the students what the book is about, but rather, have them come up with what math concept is being explored in the book themselves. They always get so excited when they figure this out! Most recently, I used the book The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins to introduce the concept of division to third graders. This year I also used Odd Todd, Even Steven by Kathryn Cristaldi with second graders and Mouse Counts by Ellen Stoll Walsh with first graders. I love using literature because I can refer back to it time and time again with the students and they ALWAYS remember the book! 

Here are just a few books that can be used to help with various math concepts:

One is a snail, ten is a crab by April Pulley Sayre and Jeff Sayre (early numeracy and place value).
Ten Friends by Bruce Goldstone (ways to make 10).
How Big is a Foot by Rolf Myller (using standard units when measuring lengths).
Spaghetti and Meatballs For All by Marilyn Burns (area and perimeter).

Thank you for all you do at home and I look forward to working with the new students that have just started in our small groups this month!




No comments:

Post a Comment